By Ian McNeil
* 22 sections disguise the total box of the heritage of expertise and every part summarises the improvement of its topic from the earliest occasions to the current day* Written with no pointless jargon* 2 huge indexes of Names and issues* Usefully illustrated with a hundred and fifty black & white photos and line drawings to provide an explanation for key advances`Contain[s] an unlimited quantity of trustworthy info over a really large box. it's definitely a piece of which I shall myself make widespread use ... it merits to discover a spot ... in each reference library.' - occasions larger schooling Supplement`The insurance is great ... a most useful single-volume resource which for its comprehensiveness and simplicity of reference will earn its position in either professional and basic reference collections.' - Reference Reviews`Informative and finished, notable in its insurance ... covers each element of expertise from the Stone Age to the gap Age ... will surely support readers to get a grip on and consider of a big diversity of matters ... a useful and useful addition to most department bookshelves or libraries.' - New Civil Engineer`The authors represented during this booklet are to be congratulated for his or her readable and trustworthy surveys of the prior and current prestige of the main components the place mankind has harnessed technology for the construction of beneficial items and processes.' - selection
Read or Download An Encyclopaedia of the History of Technology PDF
Similar encyclopedias & subject guides books
This is often one in all 3 books of non secular quotations I hold convenient for getting ready my sermons and different spiritual writings. the opposite are The Quotable Spirit (Lorie & Mascetti) and Treasury of non secular Quotations (Tomlinson). Parrinder is Emeritus Professor of the Comparative examine of Religions on the collage of London.
Collecting the center themes of forensic technological know-how and delivering an outline, this encyclopedia offers greater than 12 essays that describe how forensic technology pertains to parts similar to drug checking out in activities, privateness issues, misconceptions approximately forensic technology, and the interface of forensic engineering and forensic technology.
Language and communique: A Cross-Cultural Encyclopedia offers an exploration of the way Western and non-Western traditions impression each other. during this illustrated, A-to-Z quantity, readers will notice the sociocultural ideas governing using language. entire with cross-references and bibliographic citations, the entries during this quantity, via reading how humans from assorted cultural backgrounds depend on conventional and rising cultural principles for social interplay, will lead readers to a better sensitivity to a few of the communique obstacles that exist within the smooth international.
Expressionism was once a modernist flow, first and foremost in poetry and portray, originating in Germany at first of the twentieth century. Its normal trait is to provide the area completely from a subjective standpoint, distorting it extensively for emotional impact for you to evoke moods or principles. Expressionist artists sought to specific which means or emotional adventure instead of actual truth.
- Public Sector Integrity: A Framework for Assessment
- Acting: An International Encyclopedia of Traditional Culture
- The Mental Health Handbook, Revised Edition
- The New York Schools of Music and the Visual Arts
- Routledge Book of World Proverbs
- Ethica Thomistica: The Moral Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas
Extra info for An Encyclopaedia of the History of Technology
About AD 1000 coin blanks were formed from sheets of metal, hammered to the right thickness and then cut into strips. Not until after 1500 did Bramante of Florence introduce the screw press for coining. A further sixteenth-century development was the use of small rolling mills, not only to standardize the blank thickness but with the dies, circular-faced in the rolling axis, set into pockets in the rolls. Chill cast-iron moulds were used for producing ingot blanks for rolling to the correct size.
An important feature of machine tools is that, in skilled hands, they have the ability to reproduce themselves, so the machines create more machines. The work ethic already existed, for man had long become accustomed to the need for the sweat of his brow and the labour of his hands. Now he could produce much more, his hands enhanced by the machine, but in much less pleasant surroundings and circumstances which often approached slavery. Interchangeability of components in manufacture About 1790, Joseph Bramah in conjunction with his foreman Henry Maudslay, evolved a number of special machine tools for the production of his locks (see pp.
There an impression of a ship, its timbers decayed and disintegrated, was found in one of seventeen mounds, many still unopened, although there were signs that others had been disturbed in the sixteenth century. It was, if not a royal burial place, a royal memorial; no body was found, although there were signs of a coffin. A helmet, a sword of gold with garnet fittings, a battle axe, a spear, silver and bronze bowls, a gold buckle or reliquary, intricately worked and patterned, a purse of Merovingian coins, silver-mounted drinking horns, spoons and jewellery were among the buried treasure.